Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Shake it like a Donkey with Parkinson’s


Anyways, I’m still trying to learn how to adapt to a few things.  Found myself in what could have been a very “interesting” situation one evening because of my lack of knowledge on their cultural practices when going out…

I went out with a few people… 

We needed somewhere to sit and I thought I could score us these great seats that were closed off for a table upstairs which looked to be the VIP section.  So I walked up to someone who spoke English and asked for their boss… 

Let’s just say I worked my “magic” and we got our table upstairs…

We finally ended up at a dancing place were they were playing horrible techno music and these Turkish girls were all lined up against a mirrored wall watching themselves.  Omg… it was hilarious. If I had thought of it at the time, I would have taped it on my iPhone to share with all of you. 

So I get the brilliant idea to try to go dance with them. Hahaha.

Every time I would even walk up to the dance floor all the girls would leave.

But I’m an American. And I have no shame, especially after a few drinks.  So I just danced by myself.  Then my friends joined. 

But then I took a break and the Turkish would girls go back up to the dance floor… you would have thought I had herpes or something contagious…

I decided that the Techno SUCKED (which it does)… so I went to the DJ and asked him to play AKON?? Lmao.  At least he spoke English. 

So I started to “Shake it like a Donkey with Parkinson’s” with my friends on the dance floor like I would at any American club, which would usually get me a free round of drinks and a life supply of beef.

This, however, got the owners undesired attention awaiting our departure from the corner of his very expensive bar…. And a small riot of men waiting to throw stones…  No I’m only joking about the latter part, it was the women who were pissed that their men were starring. 

I wanted to explain to the owner that in America, this was seen as a ritual mating dance and that I was really sorry for any misunderstanding, I just had some junk in my trunk and I was trying to shake it out. 

I thought it best to just leave by saying thanks. 

Don’t worry Daddy. I was safe the whole time.  I was with guys twice my age. 

But my conclusion to this experience was that I was left confused about the cultural lines for women in their society…  Just after I thought I had it figured out… Some things were VERY clear.  No sexy dancing. Check.  (I still wish someone had friggin’ briefed me about this I wouldn’t have put myself out there like any 20 something American who goes dancing)  But that makes sense why the girls in the clubs looked like idiots dancing by themselves when we walked into the club…

But in this culture, they obviously react to some kinds of female interaction or I couldn’t have scored us that money table upstairs with the view overlooking the street… 

Distinctions still need to be made as to where the line is drawn in the sand.  Jury’s out.  More to report later.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment